The General Scott Mine was the most prominent mine
on Scott Hill and its namesake. The workings were rich, and plentiful at first, and one of the major reasons for the rush
to the hilltops and canyons of City Creek.
The mine was working on a vein of ore "...five feet in width
of free milling ore. The first assay was $73 per ton in silver, with a small percentage of galena."(1)
Certainly enough to get people talking.
located on June 1st, 1873, by the summer of 1884 a shaft more than 300 feet deep would be in place with a number of side workings.
Strong assays would continue through this period, regularly showing "...30
ounces silver, and 50 to 70 per cent lead, with a small percentage of antimony."(2)
(1) Salt Lake Daily Herald, Vol. IV - No. 45, August 1, 1873, p.2
(2) (Utah) Gazetteer and Directory of Logan, Ogden, Provo and Salt Lake Cities for 1884, Robert W. Sloan, Herald
Printing & Publishing Co., 1884, p. 74