"Hangtown" was located in the main canyon bottom near
the junction with Cottonwood Gulch or Cottonwood Fork as it was known back then. It was a collection of miner's cabins and
other small buildings that would not last long, but no one could know that when they met to name the place way back when.
A notice of this meeting was listed in the Sunday morning Salt Lake Daily Herald, September 28, 1873. The notice reads: "A miner's meeting is caller for September 30th, at Cottonwood
Fork, for the purpose of naming the town now springing into existence..." (1)
images of the Hangtown site are know at this time.
At least three mines were located in this general area in addition to the Treasure Box. Little is known about
the mines, but the links to those mines' pages are below.
The exact location of these mines is not yet known.
H & R MINE
(1) Salt Lake Daily Herald, Vol. IV - No. 94, September 28, 1873, p.3